Saturday, January 9, 2010

How I Stop My Cold

A cold or infection is a sign to slow down. In this age, we are so very busy, with work, children, activities, relationships and of course technology. We need time to think and realize out priorities for ourselves. A slight illness forces us to think of little else than how we feel. The focus becomes the cold. With this can come epiphanies about different parts of our lives, if we listen.
I had a very bad respiratory infection a few years ago when I realized that I resented the way I was allowing myself to be treated. This illness with all my coughing and laboured breathing forced me to look at why I was having trouble breathing. Some of my close relationships were robbing me of breath. I was so used to dealing with negative and controlling individuals that I just did. Did I need this? Of course not, so I changed what I did not like. I certainly don’t attract as many any more which is great. I promised myself not to be controlling, the fallout is not positive.

During this time I had had a conversation with my herbalist sister who told me how to cut down on the coughing. I was coughing so hard, that I had to run to the washroom each time so as not to pee my pants.
Turn off the heat and let sit for a few minutes. Place the sliced onion on your upper chest, over your lungs. Wrap a towel around you to hold the onions in place and keep them on for an hour. I also reikied
myself over the onions to speed my recovery. The hard coughing stopped that day and no more running to the bathroom!!! I still coughed, but it was milder.

If I feel a cold coming on, I will drink lots and lots of water, at least 2 litres immediately and 4 or 5 through the day. The water helps me breathe. I hate to go to bed at night and discover that as soon as I lie down, my nose is clogged. The water is a godsend.

In yoga, shoulder stands really help to keep the head clear.
Also this great little yoga breathing exercise will clear the nose.
Put your finger against the right side of your nose and breathe deeply through the left. Exhale through the left side only. Do this three times.
Repeat with your finger against the left side of your nose and breathe through only the right side. Exhale through the right and repeat three times.
Even if you don’t have a cold this can really clear the head.

Reiki is also a terrific way of healing yourself and others. I used reiki on a woman who had terrible pain in her jaw from having some wisdom teeth removed.
Another time, I was in a bar with my friends when one of them said she had a bad headache. The bar was loud and the band had begun to play. I stood up and reikied my friend’s head until she said it was gone. By the way water works really well on headaches. Don’t just drink one glass, but at least 5 or 6 right away. A headache is often a sign of dehydration.
I have used reiki on my children when they were sick with very quick results.

A mustard bath is really a great way to go too. Pour two large tablespoons of dry mustard into a bath. This will help increase your circulation which in turn will help your immune system.

Garlic is great to boost your immune system. Eat one clove of garlic with a piece of bread. Dab the bread into some sour cream. Take a bite of garlic and a bite of bread. Try to make it organic if possible, that garlic is really full of nutrients.

Using liquid echinecea, squeeze about 7 drops under your tongue every half hour. Again, try to buy organic if possible. A friend of mine noticed his great dane was getting sick. Bruce put echinecea in his water. The next day, the dog was noticeably better. It took two days for the dog to be himself again.